Thursday, July 31, 2008

School Supplies


There are some things that occur that remind you that you were meant to parent; I love to shop for school supplies!! My years as a child were filled with Trapper Keepers, fandangled mechanical pencils, Toughskin Jeans, and Bully Repellent (I think it is made from the essence of video game programmers and mental hospital counselors ((just kidding Ryan!!!)). Anyway, my wife and I took the girls to that shrine of Chinese Capitalism/modern day slave labor, Wal-Mart. The smell of round tipped scissors and glue sticks is intoxicating to a parent whose oldest kids are about to start at the same school. The deluge of creatively drawn yet insanely adorable art projects will cover a thousand fridges. There are no more Trapper Keepers, even fewer pairs of Toughskins (by the grace of God!!) yet the fear of Nerd Hades (it's a real place with Deke from Saved By the Bell as Satan!) is gone. Certainly, Tom Hanks said it best in You've Got Mail: "Don't you love New York in the Fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would buy you a bouquet of sharpened pencils..."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always knew that you were a closet Tom Hanks lover. That was a pretty long story to get to the Hunky Hanks payoff. Ha, Ha. I'm funny...I think?

Ryan said...

Love the post. Intoxicating glue sticks? Is this a huffing confession? Good luck to the girls in school.

Luis and Christy said...

Points for the You've Got Mail reference. My favorite new school supply is still new Crayola crayons (and yes, they do need to be Crayola). I love when the points still have that white residue on them b/c you know NO one has even tested them yet!

cheyney webb said...

Ahhh. I do love new supplies for the first day. The smell of newly sharpened pencils. I also loved planning my outfit and having mom pull my hair into a side pony-tail braided and put into a bun. Unfortunately college and grad school first days are not as fun. Can't wait to hear how the girls enjoyed their class and teachers.