Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kid questions...


I got the idea for this blog from Wendy, Ryans sister. After reading her blog about her son's questions, I remembered some of the awesome (sorry Christy) things that our oldest child, Shelby, is asking now.

Shelby: Daddy, do dogs and cats have belly buttons?

Me: Yes baby, I'll show you.

Luckily, our portly, grumpy husky dog Jasmine has a larger than normal dog belly button. After much growling and forced obedience, Jasmine let us inspect her belly button.

Shelby: Daddy, where does God live?

Me: ................... I have no idea how to explain that to you honey.

When Shelby asks me existential questions, I find it best to be honest.

I am enjoying these questions very much, especially considering how many I will have to answer by saying, "Ask your Mommy" in the future. Hopefully, when we go to the Georgia Aquarium this weekend, the questions will abound and be boundless. Just for general information, Shelby's favorite animal is the skate; the sanitizing gel dispensers will be hit hard at the touch pools. Coby-James' favorite animals are all varieties of turtles. If she sees one, she exclaims, "MY TURTLE!!!!". All I can say is Wow. Bay has no favorite animal yet but maybe soon she will.

4 comments:

Luis and Christy said...

Don't apologize. If anything deserves to be described as "awesome" it is the profound thing that come from children. I wish more adults would speak as openly as kids.

cheyney webb said...

Their minds are so intricate. I believe I will be more intrigued with your children than the beluga whales. Turtles and skates, here we come!

Ryan said...

You have cute kids. Cant wait to see them.

Wendy said...

Hi Ridge and Jenny--I just found your blog. What fun! I liked your haiku, and I didn't realize your strong desire to jump in with the whale sharks. That would have been a very proud moment.

Thanks again for the excellent BBQ and the orange brownies that Cheyney and I kept evening out in the pan until they disappeared.

Keep posting Shelby's questions. So cute!