Friday, November 28, 2008

A treatise on wipe economy...


Any new parent finds certain skills can be deficient, no matter how much you love and adore. How does one automatically know to clean under the neck (so thats where that smell originates), put gloves on them so they cannot scratch their faces, and hold a child just so to lull them to sleep. All of these things are learned. It is wonderous to observe the evolution of self. Personally, I remember keeping tally (unofficially) of the personal record for wipes used during a fanny cleaning. I thought that 11 wipes meant my child was capable of releasing a flood of Biblical proportions, and I was able to staunch it. After three babes and a plethora of diaper changes, I had an epiphany; it isn't how many wipes you use, its how few. I can now cleanse a fanny that would give a crime scene cleaner pause with only three wipes, tops. I call it wipe economy. I have silly names for other skills I have developed as a Daddy. I won't share them, or maybe I will in the future, like the cleaning firearms with a stopwatch, hanging upside down from a pullup bar while Bobby 17 year old waits to take one of my girls out skill. For now, I am proud that I can keep my kids smelling fresh, prevent them from hurting themselves (mostly), and bounce them in my arms until they slumber. Being a Daddy is the greatest ever... siiiiiggghhh...

4 comments:

cheyney webb said...

What a great dad you are. Keeping Coby James from getting a broken bone is a pretty magnificent feat.

Wendy said...

Funny that you devote a blog entry to how little wipes you can use and still get the job done, and even funnier that I totally relate and share your feelings of pride and joy!

Unknown said...

Is it wrong to use a whole box for one "changing event"? I like to wipe Luke from head to toe & then make sure to do the same for myself. Weird, yes...but clean.

Luis and Christy said...

What a great blog -- esp true about the neck cleaning. I learned that little nugget as a teen-aged babysitter. The dad actually taught me that in a sort of conversation that your blog reminds me of.