Thursday, January 29, 2009

New question...

Oh Mark, you make me laugh! Of course I expected ya'll to agree with me. But seriously, I am glad you guys all gave your thoughts. I love that type of discourse. And really, you are all pretty doggone smart in different areas. What better group to disagree with me? I guess these are pretty generic questions but they are applicable because I cannot say I know how each of you would answer. So, with that in mind, who is your favorite historic figure, and why? And as soon as ya'll get tired of these kinds of things, just let me know by sending me hate mail or just not posting anymore.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Favorite historical figure: John Adams, or for that matter, pretty much anyone that David McCullough writes about. Reading John Adams several years ago made American history come alive for me for the first time. Truman and Teddy Roosevelt are also interesting historical figures to me now, thanks to David McCullough.

Most influential historical figure, even though you didn't ask: Hitler. At least in the past century. I was recently explaining the Holocaust to my kids, and how 6 million Jews died because of Hitler. Not only were my kids shocked, but I was shocked again as I explained it in kids terms.

What's your answer, Ridge? Are you waiting to go last this time so I don't criticize it right off the bat again?!

ridgeandjenny said...

Yes Wendy, I fear you after you lashed out savagely against your own nestmate. I was going to say Ike because of what he faced during World War II, the way he revolutionized travel in the U.S. by pushing the interstate system, and because of his relationship with Mamie. But I realized I don't know enough about the man. I like many of the true polymaths responsible for the beginnings of our country, and I also like Lincoln and Alexander Stephens. I know that includes no one from pre-18th century, but I am not well read enough. Anyway, you want to be newly shocked by Hitler, try explaining to the munchkins about the level of cognitive dissonance and group think that was necessary for German citizens to subscribe to the "Fatherland" mentality. Yikes!!

Unknown said...

Teddy Roosevelt. He was an interesting dude. Plus he said "BULLY" all the time. Take a look at what he did during his lifetime and even Hemingway would say, "that dude did some crazy junk". I win!

Ryan said...

lincoln was a champ.

Unknown said...

Jesus, duh.