Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I actually read a book!!


I read a book recently. It was a book I didn't have to read. It was a book I chose. It was a book I didn't skim through at the speed of light, searching for relevant info. I enjoyed it verily. The book "Blonde Roots" offers a new and interesting perspective regarding the Trans Atlantic slave trade. The premise turns the tables with European commoners and elite enslaved by Africans. Bernardine Everisto researched the topic well and paints a logical, if temporally confusing picture of the possibilities posed by the hypothesis: what if the geographic, social, and cultural specifics of the Trans Atlantic slave trade were reversed? This book is disturbing yet funny, dark yet hopeful. If you don't mind a little gore here and there, it is an interesting twist on what we think we know. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

An it wasn't a picture book. Huh, interesting.

Ryan said...

I'll request it at the library and check it out.