Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Okay...... Let me collect my thoughts so this post does not end up smelling like the mythical Vomitorium of Personal Political Rhetoric (read: Media at Large). I have MAJOR issues with the latest hate spewed forth by feminist "progressives" regarding Sarah Palin. I do not pretend that I agree with all points of her policy. I do believe, however, that she would make a good executive for our government. The fact that feminist "progressives" lambaste Palin for her "supermom image" is sickening. It simply illustrates the cup half empty mentality of formerly relevant organizations. Their relevance diminished when they began to hate women as much as men. The most unfortunate part is the fact that they only hurt the causes they claim to promote and cannot understand that people are soured by hurtful rhetoric. I will preface the following comments by saying this: I am an anthropologist. I have immense respect for people, their cultures, and their opinions. I liken the current feminist backlash to the attitude held by some African-Americans, the general population as well as academics, regarding Condelleza Rice and Colin Powell. After fighting and accomplishing and ascending to the top of their respective fields, they are rejected and marginalized by a culture in need of proper role models. I would not offer this opinion if I had not heard these very words with my own ears. A recent Howard graduate told me that "black people think Condeleeza Rice is George Bush's girlfriend". If Barack Obama is elected, he will ultimately not do enough for African-Americans and will likely suffer the same fate. So please people, lets all vote with our heads and examine all positions and not fall victim to the loudest voices in an endless crowd!! I respect all positions and opinions and hope that anyone that reads this post does not doubt me. These comments are simply my opinion regarding our political climate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You bring up a very good point. I heard someone on CNN speaking to this very issue. You would think that feminists would welcome the opportunity for a woman to be vice-president. Much has been written by many feminists & feminist organizations against Sarah Palin like; Gloria Steinem (LA Times), Sarah Seltzer (Huffington Post), Maureen Dowd (NY Times), Sally Quin (Newsweek), & the National Organization of Women. I think its funny that they themselves are, "patching the cracks in the glass ceiling they fought so hard to establish". While I can understand not supporting Palin for her policies and political views even if I share many of those views. I cannot understand why feminists would attack her, "as bad for woman's rights". It seems that she is quite the opposite. It's pretty amazing rising from hockey mom to governor. The reality is that the feminist movement has been hijacked by liberal politics. Has feminism somehow lost it's bearing? The ideas of woman's strength, equality, and independence were supposed build a bridge across party lines for a common goal. I guess a strong independent woman will be supported by feminists and N.O.W as long as she does as she is told.