Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rattle snake mania!!


Jenny and I did an arguably sick thing on Saturday on our way back from Atlanta... We picked up roadkill. I will explain fully but I also feel the urge to vomit my thoughts out in Haiku...

Roadkill salvage crew
The woodland scourge awaited
But you guys blew it

The road invited
You can't thermoregulate
Sad, warmth equaled death

I checked for life with
My umbrella of safety
Strike me with beauty

Canebreak or timber
You were once two subspecies
Now, you're in a jar

So, yes, we saw a large snake on the side of the road. After a quick u turn, I poked it with an umbrella for 5 minutes. After being satisfied that it was indeed deceased, I picked it up and threw it into our cooler. At home, we froze the wonderful specimen and then loaded it into a jar filled with preservative. Jenny wants to put it on her desk at work. May she be known as the Snake Lady.
Two questions, is it more strange to pick up a four foot long Canebreak rattlesnake off of Highway 27, freeze it, and then stick it into a jar from K-Mart, which is destined for your wife's desk? Or to feel it necessary to relate stories in the form of ancient Japanese Haiku?? Doubtless I will be pigeonholed as a roadkill scraping, 6th Grade level haiku writing foolish person, but hey, bite me.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Odd, yet awesome.

Way to make use of the snake.

cheyney webb said...

Look what will happen if you mess with Dr. Harper. You will end up dead in a jar! Students beware

Unknown said...

Picking up roadkill. Bringing a Southern stereotype straight home...literally. Seriously, in Asia they have King Cobras and lizards pickled in liquor. It is supposed to bring good health, luck and drunkenness. I think it just brings nasty. FACT!